As I watched my pre-teen daughter carry on an animated conversation at the dinner table, I stared in wonder at how fast her looks were changing. She'd been paying more attention to her grooming lately and was really trying to dress with style. But today something seemed different. Was it the way her eyes sparkled? Did her hair have extra shine? Acne hadn't set in yet, so it wasn't that....What was difference? I just couldn't put a finger on it.
Three or four days later, as she climbed into the front seat of our full size van, I saw what I'd been missing....
In a horrifying rush, it all came back to me...the angry teenage sister stomping her foot and declaring in disgust that someone had used her razor! It was full of little blond hairs! .....(Since the angry child has always had her daddys olive skin and dark hair, I naturally concluded that someone had merely shaved another doll head. After all, hadn't the 5 year old recently claimed a bald Barbie as the toy of choice-- making sure to take extra special care of the plastic pixie because, "she had cancer"....?)
Now the last peice of the puzzle had slammed into place. In utter astonishment, I quietly asked, "Sydney, where are your eyebrows?"
"What? I don't know what you're talking about!"
A little louder, as if that would prompt understanding, "Where...are...your...eyebrows?"
"Eyebrows! What Eyebrows?"
"You know, those pretty little hairs that sit just over your eyeballs...they're called EYEBROWS! WHERE ARE YOUR EYEBROWS?!"
Unconsciously rubbing one of the recently bald ridges, and knowing she's must fess up, she digs as deep as she can for all the pride and dignity she can muster and declares in disgust ..."THEY ITCHED! I SHAVED THEM OFF!"
Oh baby, you just THOUGHT they itched THEN!
No comments:
Post a Comment